2016 Honda CRF450R
Enhanced Podium Ability.
Honda’s CFR450R is the nuclear option in the motocross wars. Light, powerful, nimble, responsive, it offers the most performance and refinement of any bike in its class. For 2016, we’ve made some fine-tuning changes that make it a little better, but the big features that separate it from the pack remain.
For example, there’s the CRF450R’s Engine Mode Select button that lets you choose between three settings (Standard, Smooth and Aggressive), just by pushing a handlebar-mounted button. Use that in conjunction with our available HRC Fuel Injection Setting Tool, and it’s easier than ever to adjust your engine’s output for specific track conditions.
Next, the CRF450R's revolutionary KYB Air Fork features both high- and low-speed compression and rebound damping, letting you dial in the CRF450R's suspension in much quicker.
Details like a fork that’s five millimeters longer this year and a new shock link help make the CRF450R even more stable. There’s even a new chain roller to help. All in all, you have everything you need to put you up front, from the second the start gate drops to when the checkered flag falls.
Engine Mode Select Button: Not to be confused with a launch mode selector, this handlebar-mounted button lets you dial in engine power delivery character with a push of your thumb. Choose between Standard, Smooth and Aggressive, depending on track conditions.
Cylinder Head and Piston: The CRF450R’s cylinder head features a right-side exhaust port exit that helps the engine deliver more top-end power and over rev, plus better low-end torque feel. The piston’s special heat treatment adds durability, too.
KYB PSF Air Fork: The CRF450R's 48mm inverted KYB PSF (Pneumatic Spring Fork) air fork is one of our 450’s best features. It weighs less than a conventional spring fork, and adjusting the spring rate is as easy pumping air. This year it’s five millimeters longer too, which helps enhance the bike’s stability.
- Cylinder Head Layout: The CRF450R’s exhaust header exits the head from the right side, which lets us shorten the header by 320mm. The design delivers more top-end power and over-rev, plus better low-end torque feel.
- Revised PGM-FI: The settings on the CRF450R's Programmed Fuel Injection emphasize low- and mid-range power, and help deliver smooth, predictable engine performance. With our available HRC Fuel Injection Setting Tool, it’s easily adjustable to specific track conditions and refines your settings in place of the smooth and aggressive settings on the engine mode selector.
- Engine Mode Select Button: This simple handlebar-mounted button lets you dial in engine power delivery character with a push of your thumb. Choose between Standard, Smooth and Aggressive, depending on track conditions. If you want to change up the settings, you can reprogram the Smooth and Aggressive modes with our optional HRC Tuning Tool for a custom-tailored power delivery.
- New Suspension Settings: The small refinements in fork length and the new shock link mean we also tweaked the CRF450R’s suspension settings to keep things balanced.
- Air-Fork Front Suspension: The CRF450R's revolutionary air fork is a 48mm inverted KYB PSF (Pneumatic Spring Fork), easily adjustable with a simple air pump. This year it’s five millimeters longer to enhance the bike’s stability. Its high/low-speed compression and rebound-damping adjustments let you can dial it in to help keep your front tire planted for better tracking through turns and across whoops.
- Chain Roller: We changed the chain roller size this year from 38mm to 34mm to fine-tune the CRF450R’s handling.
- Rear Shock Link: A new shock link, working in conjunction with the new, longer fork, helps improve the CRF450R’s chassis stability.
- Honda Progressive Steering Damper (HPSD): The HPSD is designed to work in conjunction with the front and rear suspension to give you unmatched steering precision under braking, acceleration, and in the whoops, ruts and hardpack. There's nothing like it!
- 260mm Front Brake: The CRF450R’s large front-brake disc measures a whopping 260mm. You get great brake feel and a wave pattern that cuts down on weight. Front and rear black brake guards are part of the package too.
- Short Twin-Muffler Exhaust System: The CRF450R’s dual exhaust system is compact and positioned close and low in the frame’s center to take weight off the rear end and bring more mass to the bike’s center for improved handling.
- Dunlop MX52 Tires: Developed using Dunlop’s “block-on-block” technology, the unidirectional MX52FA front tire and MX52 rear tire give excellent feedback and traction, and are a perfect complement for the CRF450R’s revised suspension.
- Next-Generation Aluminum Frame: Our Next-Gen twin spar aluminum frame is designed to work with the KYB air fork, suspension components and subframe to improve mass steering feedback, suspension action, chassis stiffness and compliance.
- Blacked-Out Accents: Blackened radiator fin guards, rear disk guard and brake line guides look sharp and help the CRF450R stand out from the competition.
- Engine Type: 449cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
- Bore And Stroke: 96 mm x 62.1 mm
- Compression Ratio: 12.5:1
- Valve Train: Unicam®, four-valve; 36 mm intake, titanium; 31 mm exhaust, steel
- Induction: Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI), 46 mm throttle body
- Ignition: Full transistor with electronic advance
- Transmission: Close-ratio five-speed
- Final Drive: #520 Chain; 13T/48T
- Front Suspension: 48 mm inverted KYB PSF (Pneumatic Spring Fork) with air-adjustable spring rate, and rebound and compression-damping adjustability; 12.2 in. travel.
- Rear Suspension: Pro-Link® KYB single shock with adjustable spring preload, rebound damping adjustability, and compression damping adjustment separated into low-speed and highspeed; 12.4 in. travel
- Front Brake: Single 260 mm disc with twin-piston caliper
- Rear Brake: Single 240 mm disc
- Front Tire: Dunlop MX52F 80/100-21
- Rear Tire: Dunlop MX52 120/80-19
- Wheelbase: 58.7 in.
- Rake: 27 deg. 04 min. (Caster Angle)
- Trail: 116 mm (4.57 in.)
- Seat Height: 37.5 in.
- Ground Clearance: 13.0 in.
- Fuel Capacity: 1.7 gal.
- Curb Weight: 243 lb. (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride.)
- Available Colors: Red
- Model Id: CRF450R
- Engine Type
- Single-cylinder four-stroke
- Bore and Stroke
- 96 mm x 62.1 mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI), 46 mm throttle body
- Full transistor with electronic advance
- Front Suspension
- 48 mm inverted KYB PSF (Pneumatic Spring Fork) with air-adjustable spring rate, and rebound and compression-damping adjustability; 12.2 in. travel.
- Front Brakes
- Single 260 mm disc with twin-piston caliper
- Front Tire
- Dunlop MX52F 80/100-21
- Rear Suspension
- Pro-Link® KYB single shock with adjustable spring preload, rebound damping adjustability, and compression damping adjustment separated into low-speed and highspeed; 12.4 in. travel
- Rear Brakes
- Single 240 mm disc
- Rear Tire
- Dunlop MX52 120/80-19
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 243 lb.
- Fuel Capacity
- 1.7 gal.
- 58.7 in.
- Ground Clearance
- 13.0 in.
- Seat Height
- 37.5 in.
- 116 mm (4.57 in.)
- 27 deg. 04 min. (Caster Angle)
- Close-ratio five-speed
- Final Drive
- #520 Chain; 13T/48T